Animals & Pets

Content top

Greater Hume Council recognises the importance of having pets within the community and encourages residents to be responsible pet owners. Some larger animals such as horses, goats or pigs are usually inappropriate for a residential environment and may be subject to Council by-laws.

Click here to obtain a copy of Greater Hume Council's Local Orders Policy for Keeping of Animals or Birds.


Dog & Cat Owners

Since 1998, the Companion Animals Act requires all puppies, dogs, cats, or kittens sold or given away to be microchipped and registered for life from 1 July 1999.

Microchipping is not the same as registration. Pet owners must microchip AND register their pets. This means having your dog or cat microchipped first, then registered with your local council.

When registering your pet you may need to provide documentation such as micro-chip details, sterilisation certificate, breeder’s card or pension card. Check with Council for more information.


Fees & Charges (Cats and Dogs)

Since 1998 all pets in NSW over the age of six (6) months must be microchipped and registered with a lifetime registration under the Companion Animal Act.

Fees are set by the State Government and are:

Non-desexed animal $ 207
Desexed animal $ 57
Animal under 6 months not desexed $ 57
Desexed animal owned by a pensioner $ 24
Desexed animal purchased from pound - shelter   $ 28.50
Recognised breeder $ 57

For information on registration of Assistance Animals please contact Council's Ranger on 02 6029 8588.

Working dogs do not require microchipping or registration but it is recommended for the safety of the dog.

Registration of a dog or cat can be done at the Council Offices in Holbrook or at the Customer Service Centres in Culcairn, Jindera or Walla Walla during business hours.


Barking Dogs

Barking is one of the ways dogs communicate. It can signify anything from playfulness to danger.

However, dogs sometimes bark when they are:
  • chained to a fixed point without enough room to move, or kept in a space which is too small
  • provoked, deliberately or unintentionally, by people or roaming dogs
  • under exercised or not exercised at all
  • untrained
  • lonely
  • sick
  • hungry, thirsty, on the wrong diet or generally neglected
  • kept in circumstances that are unsuitable for that particular breed
  • victims of abuse.
If you suspect a dog is being mistreated, contact an RSPCA inspector on (02) 9770 7555 or 1300 278 3589, or through the RSPCA Website.
The causes of barking listed above should not be part of a dog's life. As well as indicating a possibly distressed animal, chronic excessive barking can disturb people living nearby.


Missing Companion Animals

Tips for when your companion animal goes missing:
  • Ensure their identification tags are correct, name and phone number with collars secure and fitted properly.
  • Do you know where your microchip information is? Place your animals microchip number somewhere you can assess easily.
  • Update microchip and registration information.
  • Important phone numbers (keep them in an convenient location):
    • 1300 653 538 (local call) Greater Hume Council
    • 0427 556 659 Ranger, Greater Hume Council
  • Remember to microchip before 12 weeks of age and register with a NSW local council by 6 months of age.
  • Make a plan for when your pet does get loose/go missing.
  • Contact your local Council or pound as soon as possible.
  • When your dog or cat is found, the Council or pound can return your dog or cat to its home.
  • Check your fencing and yard. Is it suitable for your pets?
  • Fix and fill in your yard now. Digging under fences is a classic method of escape.


Companion Animals Act 1998

More details on the Companion Animals Act 1998 are available here

Content bottom
Home  |  Simply Greater Living  |  Visit Our Shire  |  Business & Investment  |  Greater Hume Council  |  Council Services
© Copyright 2018   |  Copyright  |  Privacy Policy  |  Website by Communications Works & Web Matrix
Footer background
Footer background bottom
| |