Water & Sewerage

Content top

Water Filling Stations

The use of metered portable standpipes is now unauthorised and strictly prohibited other than for the exclusive use of councils and fire brigade services (for fire fighting purposes).
Please Note: The fixed overhead standpipes will continue to operate at Walla Walla and Walbundrie.
Water carters, contractors and farm tankers need to fill up at the Bulk Water Filling Stations or existing Fixed Overhead Standpipes.
For enquiries regarding new applications for Water Filling Stations please contact GHSC on 02 6036 0100 or follow the links below.
For a copy of the NSW Health Guidelines for Water Carters please click here 

Private Water Supply Guidelines

NSW Health has provided some information in regards to Private Water Supply guidelines.
These guidelines will assist operators of private water to provide safe water from an independent water supply.  This includes water pumped from rivers and creeks, bores and dams, as well as water from rainwater tanks.  It does not include supplies provided by water utilities (i.e. town water).
Operators of businesses that use a private water supply to provide drinking water for the public and/or employees have a responsibility to provide safe water, or to warn people if the water is not safe.
Water supplies can become contaminated from many sources including sewage overflows, septic tanks, birds and animals and their droppings, fertilisers, pesticides and lead flashings on roofs.
These guidelines recommend regular testing of private water supplies to ensure compliance with the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines (ADWG).


Higher than usual Water Accounts


If you are experiencing higher than usual water accounts, the following PDF document may be of assistance. It details reasons that may explain higher than normal accounts, how to check for a concealed water leak, how to check your meter reading and Council Officer water meter reading checks.
Click here for a copy of the document. 


NSW Office of Water


The NSW Office of Water is a separate office within the NSW Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water. It is responsible for the management of the State's surface water and groundwater resources. The Office of Water reports to the Minister for Water for water policy and the administration of key water management legislation, including the Water Management Act 2000, Water Act 1912, and the Hawkesbury-Nepean River Act 2009.
Our website, www.water.nsw.gov.au provides valuable information on best practice management, financial assistance, technical support and training that councils already access on a regular basis by visiting our website. Further, the website provides information on river management including real-time flow and water quality information that may be of interest to water managers.


Be WaterWise and conserve our natural resources

Current Water Restrictions are available here.

Water is one of our most precious resources. You can help preserve and reduce your water consumption by implementing the following suggestions.


  • Turn taps off tightly and replace worn washers
  • Use appliances that reduce water use
  • Match the load size to the fill level on your washing machine
  • Wash only full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher
  • Use plugs in sinks and baths
  • Turn the tap off while you brush your teeth
  • Check for leaks by turning off all taps and cisterns then checking your meter - if your meter reading changes you may have a leak somewhere on your property
  • Install a water saving shower head
  • For a soak, take a bath instead of a shower
  • Install a dual flush toilet

Did you know...

  • Showers use 10 to 20 litres of water a minute
  • Dripping taps waste about 200 litres of water each day
  • The amount of water used in your toilet cistern can be reduced by installing a dual flush toilet, or by putting a few sealed plastic drink bottles full of water in the cistern

The average amount of water used:

Flush Toilet (full flush) 12 litres
Bath 100 litres
A long Shower 200 litres
Brushing teeth with tap running 5 litres
Fill the Hand basin 5 litres
Dishwasher 50 litres/load
Washing Machine 150 litres/load
Sprinkler 1000 litres/hour
Car Washing (with hose) 200 litres
Hosing Driveway 100 litres
Dripping Tap 200 litres/day

The average person uses 10 litres of water per person each day drinking, cooking and cleaning.


Greater Hume Council operates a sewerage disposal scheme within some towns within the Greater Hume.  Residences are required to connect to these schemes where they are available. Residences outside these areas are required to provide their own onsite sewerage management system.


Pollution Incident Response Management Plans (PIRMP).

These Pollution Incident Response Management Plans (PIRMP) have been prepared in accordance with the Protection of the Environment Legislation Amendment Act 2011 (POELA Act) and reflects the requirements specified in the Environment Protection Authority’s (EPA’s) Guidelines: Preparation of pollution incident response management plans, March 2012.

It identifies the hazards to the environment associated with Culcairn, Henty, Holbrook and Walla Walla Treatment Plants and their operations; provides pre-emptive measures to reduce such hazards, details the essential contact and communication mechanisms in the case of an incident. You can also obtain a copy of each PIRMP by clicking on the titles below.  

Culcairn STP PIRMP


Holbrook STP PIRMP

Walla Walla STP PIRMP


On Site Sewage Management Systems

Installation of on-site sewage management systems requires approval from Council.
The type of system approved will be determined by the site (soil) conditions and any potential contamination issues. See attached fact sheet - Installation of New On-Site Sewage Management System.
The attached Onsite Sewerage Management System (OSMS) application form will be required if you are:
  • Installing a new system
  • Upgrading an existing system (additional works)
  • Applying to operate an OSMS
  • Decommissioning an OSMS
  • Pre-purchase Property Transaction inspection
On-site sewage management systems are subject to Council regulations which are designed to protect public health as well as the environment.
Change of Ownership of Land
Once an on-site sewage management system is installed the approval belongs to the landowner and does not transfer automatically with a change of ownership.  See attached fact sheet - Approval to Operate an Existing On-Site Sewage Management System.
Therefore, when a property with an existing Onsite Sewage Management System is sold, the new owner must lodge the attached Application to Operate an Existing Onsite Sewage Management System with Council. There is no fee required for this application.
Further information on onsite sewage management systems can also be obtained by clicking on the following links:
On-site Sewage Management Septic Tank Owners Guide Click Here
Aerated Wastewater Treatment Systems (AWTS) Owners Guide Click Here
Contact Council staff at the Culcairn office on (02) 6029 8588 for additional information on sewerage management within Greater Hume Coucil.


Water and Waste Water Fact Sheets


Culcairn Office

Address: 40 Balfour Street Culcairn NSW 2660
Phone: (02) 6029 8588
Fax: (02) 6029 8607

Holbrook Office

Address: 39 Young Street, Holbrook NSW 2644
Phone: (02) 6036 0100
Fax: (02) 6036 2683


Content bottom
Home  |  Simply Greater Living  |  Visit Our Shire  |  Business & Investment  |  Greater Hume Council  |  Council Services
© Copyright 2018   |  Copyright  |  Privacy Policy  |  Website by Communications Works & Web Matrix
Footer background
Footer background bottom
| |