Aged and Community Services

Content top

Units available to rent

Community Transport

What is community transport?  Who can access it?

Community transport is a service for people who require transport to recreation and shopping areas, access to medical and social services and social contact.
Community transport services are available for people who are experiencing transport disadvantage:
people who are financially disadvantaged, isolated or have a mobility impairment
people who are having difficulty with activities of daily living and their carers
people with disabilities and their carers
Department of Veterans Affairs card holders are eligible users. 

Community transport options in the Greater Hume Council area
A timetable of the community transport options can be accessed at any Council office, or doctor surgery or Meals on Wheels in the shire.  Alternatively click here to download a copy.

Kala Court Retirement Village Vacancies

Affordable rural retirement living in Holbrook
Comprising 13 spacious two bedroom units, the Kala Court Retirement Village units are located at 20-26 Frampton Street Holbrook. 
Low maintenance accessible living in a secure and friendly environment, the units offer;
  • Inverter split system air conditioning
  • In floor heating in tiled areas
  • Modern kitchen with generous storage
  • Remote control access panel lift garage door
  • Rainwater tank
  • Grab rails in bathroom and toilet
  • Security/alarm system
  • Non-slip exposed aggregate pathways
  • Landscaped, maintained gardens
  • Fully detached, two bedroom units available
  • Offered on a licence to occupy basis
  • Located within walking distance to shops, cafes, clubs, the library, post office and medical facilities
If you are over 55, no longer working fulltime and are ready for maintenance free living in a secure and private environment, arrange an inspection today.
Kala Court operates on a licence to occupy basis.   
As at March 2016 the entry contribution for a Kala Court unit was $190,000*. For further details, a full disclosure statement or to arrange an inspection, please contact General Manager, Greater Hume Council on 02 6036 0100.
*subject to two yearly revaluations


Aged and Community Services

By 2050, over 3.5 million Australians will access aged care each year with around 80 per cent of the services delivered in the community.

It is widely recognised that older people want to stay in their own homes as long as they can and maintain links with the community and have a greater say in the way their care is provided.

As part of the Australian Government’s aged care reforms, home care support is being  significantly expanded to assist people to remain living at home for as long as possible, and to introduce more choice and flexibility for people receiving care at home.

An extensive range of services can be provided including care services, support services, clinical services and other services to support a person living at home.  From 1 July 2015 people seeking government assisted aged support services are required to initially contact the My Aged Care Gateway.  My Aged Care can be accessed by calling 1800 200 422 or at
For information on staying active and healthy at home, including home and safety checklists, exercises to do at home and a search function to find gentle exercise and falls prevention programs close by, please go to

Greater Hume Aged and Community Housing

•    Greater Hume Council operate a range of senior and low income housing options.
•    One bedroom retirement units are located in Culcairn, Holbrook, Jindera and Howlong.  
•    Council also operate two bedroom retirement units in Holbrook on both a lease and self-funded basis.  
•    Other housing options include low income two and three bedroom community housing in Culcairn.  

For further information T: (02) 6036 0100.









Hostels and Other Residential Facilities in Greater Hume Council

Culcairn       Kiltearn House, Hostel, Edward Street, Culcairn (02) 6029 8907
  Multipurpose Service, Balfour Street, Culcairn (02) 6029 8203
Jindera        UPA Jindera Gardens Hostel, 74—78 Creek Street, Jindera (02) 6026 3799
Holbrook      Holbrook UPA Hostel, 47 Bowler Street, Holbrook (02) 6036 2817
  Harry Jarvis Wing, Bowler Street, Holbrook (02) 6036 2522
Henty          Multi Purpose Service, Keighran Street, Henty (02) 6929 4999
  UPA Myoora Homestead Hostel, Crn of Bartsch & Keirghran St Henty (02) 6929 3200


Hospitals in Greater Hume Council

Culcairn       Culcairn Community Health Centre, Balfour Street, Culcairn (02) 6029 8917
Holbrook      Holbrook Community Health Cntre, Bowler Street, Holbrook (02) 6036 2522
Henty          Henty Community Health Centre, Keighran Street, Henty (02) 6929 4999

A range of additional general practitioner, outreach programs and other health services are available across the shire, e.g. x-ray, pathology, podiatry, physiotherapy and child maternal health.

Further information can be obtained by contacting:

General Manager, Greater Hume Council
Phone: (02) 6036 0100


Content bottom
Home  |  Simply Greater Living  |  Visit Our Shire  |  Business & Investment  |  Greater Hume Council  |  Council Services
© Copyright 2018   |  Copyright  |  Privacy Policy  |  Website by Communications Works & Web Matrix
Footer background
Footer background bottom
| |