Emergency Information

Content top

For emergencies ring 000 (triple zero)


Emergency Services at Greater Hume Council

Roads, Storms & Drainage 0419 405 768
Water & Sewerage 0408 691 637
Ranger/Impounding Officer 0427 556 659

Other Emergency Phone Numbers

Police (flood information inquiry centre) 1800 227 228
NSW RFS Bush Fire Control Centre (02) 6051 1511 - 24 hours
SES Flood and Storm Emergencies 132 500
RMS (formerly RTA) 132 701


Current Road Conditions

Updated at 17/07/2018

No current road closures.


Flood Bulletins from SES

Updated at 17/07/2018

Click here for more flood information from the SES website.


Emergency Call Australia 

EMERGENCY CALL AUSTRALIA is the Triple-Zero (000) & Emergency Contacts Smart Phone App that can be downloaded for FREE.
EMERGENCY CALL AUSTRALIA  can assist with getting help from Police, Ambulance, Fire, SES, other agencies. Plus you can add two of your OWN Emergency contacts and call them directly from the App.
Directly from the App the user can see a map of where they are including their address and longitude/latitude. The user can then provide their location to the Emergency Call Taker, Personal Emergency Contact or other agency. This may assist with getting help easier, quicker and more accurate

Once the user has completed the call to Triple-Zero (000), State Emergency Service (SES) or Police Non-Emergency the app has the added benefit (if you wish to use it) of transmitting a Text message to two saved emergency contacts advising them that an Emergency call has been made including the address, longitude and latitude.
Directly from the App you can contact:

  • Triple-Zero (000) - Police, Ambulance & Fire
  • State Emergency Services (SES)
  • Police Assistance Line
  • Two of your own Emergency Contacts
  • Crimestoppers
  • Healthdirect
  • Poison Information Centre Australia
  • National Relay Service

Download it from your app store today.


State Emergency Services (SES)

Contact details for the SES services are
Flood and Storm Emergencies: 132 500
General Business and Information
Albury 02 6043 1468
Culcairn 02 6029 8866
Holbrook 02 6036 3037
 Connect with the SES on Facebook

NSW Rural Fire Service

The NSW Rural Fire Service has responsibility for fire management for over 90 per cent of the state of NSW. The Greater Hume Council area is serviced by the Albury Greater Hume Rural Fire District which is responsible for community safety and provides advice on bushfire risk management, total fire bans, hazard reduction strategies, community education programs as well as volunteer recruitment and training.

The NSW Rural Fire Service is made up of approximately 2,200 volunteer rural fire brigades with approximately 69,000 members. Volunteer brigade members come from all walks of life within the community.

For current fires and incidents see the RFS website here.


Local Rural Fire staff

Fire Control Officer  
Deputy Fire Control Officer Marg Wehner
Deputy Fire Control Officer John McGrath
Administrative Officer Janne Hindle


Neighbourhood Safer Places in Greater Hume Council - Fire Ready Brochure

Greater Hume Council has prepared Fire Ready: Greater Hume Shire as a guide to assist residents in preparing for a fire emergency. The brochure outlines daily fire ratings, neighbourhood safer places in Greater Hume and the need for you and your family to prepare a Bush Fire Survival Plan.  

NSW Fire Brigades

The NSW Fire Brigades (NSWFB) is the NSW government agency responsible for managing fire emergencies in the major cities, metropolitan areas and towns across rural and regaional NSW. Under the Fire Brigades Act 1989 we also protect the State from hazardous material incidents and by extension of this capability, the consequences of terrorism.
We have the organisational capabilty and resilience to support other government agencies during and after bushfires, storms, floods, landslides, building collapses, earthquakes and other emergency situations.

Township Fire Brigades

Culcairn Fire Brigade 5 Black St, Culcairn Ph (02) 6029 8202 Fax (02) 6029 8139
Henty Fire Brigade Ivor St, Henty Ph (02) 6929 3003 Fax (02) 6929 3623
Holbrook Fire Brigade 62 Swift St, Holbrook Ph (02) 6036 2255 Fax (02) 6036 3198

Total Fire Ban

On days of Total Fire Ban no fires are permitted in the open. Total Fire Bans are announced by the local media and signs are in place at Jindera, Brocklesby, Walla Walla, Burrumbuttock, Culcairn and Holbrook Council Offices.

Bush Fire Season

The Bushfire Danger period throughout Greater Hume Council generally runs from the 1st November until 31st March. During the Bushfire Danger Period the lighting of fires in the open is generally restricted. Cooking fires are permitted in a designated fireplace unless on a day of total fire ban. The fireplace must be clear of combustible material for a distance of 2m.
Anyone seeking a Permit to Burn, whether in a rural or residential area, must contact the Fire Control Centre on (02) 6051 1511.

Contact Numbers

For emergencies ring 000 (triple zero)
Bush Fire Control Centre:

(02) 6051 1511 - 24 hours


Get Ready for Summer


Southern Riverina Assistance Guide

Rural Support Workers provide support for families during drought and other emergencies, such as floods, fires and storms. This often involves supplying information on what support and assistance is available and who may be eligible, along with help in filling out the multitude of forms. Rural Support Workers can also provide personal support to people who just want to talk. This can involve talking to farmers and their families on the phone, visiting on their farms or talking to small groups of neighbours.

For a copy of the Southern Riverina Assistance Guide please click here.

NSW Health

Bushfire Recovery Resources

Mental Health 

For access to mental health services, contact the organisations listed below:
  • NSW Rural Mental Health Support Line - 1800 201 123 24/7 support and information for people in rural communities
  • Mensline Australia - 1300 789 978 Confidential 24/7 telephone counselling for men
  • Kids Helpline - 1800 551 800 24/7 telephone counselling
  • HealthDirect - 1800 022 222 for general health information

Transport Subsidies

Industry & Investment NSW will rebate up to 50% of the transport costs for movement of:
  • stock from burnt areas to agistment
  • fodder to burnt areas
  • stock returning from agistment to burnt areas

These rebates apply to primary producers in areas affected by fire in NSW, subject to eligibility criteria. Maximum subsidy available is $15,000 per annum. Claims must be submitted not more than 6 months after the first movement.


Injured Animals

If you are concerned about injured domestic animals or livestock, consult your Vetinarian
If you are concerned about injured wildlife, phone WIRES on 1300 094 737

Other Informative Websites 


Content bottom
Home  |  Simply Greater Living  |  Visit Our Shire  |  Business & Investment  |  Greater Hume Council  |  Council Services
© Copyright 2018   |  Copyright  |  Privacy Policy  |  Website by Communications Works & Web Matrix
Footer background
Footer background bottom
| |