Lost and Impounded Animals
Missing Companion Animals
Tips for when your companion animal goes missing:
- Ensure their identification tags are correct, name and phone number with collars secure and fitted properly.
- Do you know where your microchip information is? Place your animals microchip number somewhere you can assess easily.
- Update microchip and registration information.
- Important phone numbers (keep them in an convenient location):
- Remember to microchip before 12 weeks of age and register with a NSW local council by 6 months of age.
- Make a plan for when your pet does get loose/go missing.
- Contact your local Council or pound as soon as possible.
- When your dog or cat is found, the Council or pound can return your dog or cat to its home.
- Check your fencing and yard. Is it suitable for your pets?
- Fix and fill in your yard now. Digging under fences is a classic method of escape.
Companion Animals Act 1998
More details on the Companion Animals Act 1998 are available here