Greater Hume Council Customer Service Offices Closed

Below are alternative ways to contact Council:

  • Phoning 02 6036 0100 or 1300 653 538, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday (public holidays excluded).
  • Emailing via
  • Submitting a Customer Action Request via our website at
  • Making appointments with staff to deal with inquiries as required by phoning or emailing.
  • Rates and water payments can be processed via: BPay, Council’s website or online banking
  • Anyone unable to pay using other methods, is also asked to contact Council’s Office
  • Centrelink and Service NSW facilities are no longer available in Greater Hume Council offices. Please go to or for information on where you can access these services.
  • Payment of Development Applications, Construction Certificates, Plumbing Approvals, Complying Development Applications, Building Certificates and Swimming Pool Certificates can be processed via 02 6036 0100 and lodged electronically to or mailed to PO Box 99, Holbrook  2644.
  • For all other services not available on Council’s website please call 02 6036 0100 for assistance.