New Border Region as of 4 September 2020
New expanded border region
- From 4 September 2020, a single border region is in effect along the NSW-Victorian border.
- The new border region resident permit will allow people living within the approved area to move more freely for their daily activities
Reasons to cross into NSW
The border region resident permit allows entry into NSW for:
- necessary goods or services
- care or compassionate reasons
- work or education (where this is not possible in the current state of residence)
- to move to a new place of residence.
NSW border region residents
- May only enter Victoria for reasons allowed in the permit
- Must not travel to any part of Victoria outside the border region or a COVID-19 area of concern
Victorian border region residents
- May only enter NSW for reasons allowed in the permit
- Must travel only for the permitted reasons for travel in Victoria.
- Must not travel to any part of NSW outside the border region
- Must not enter NSW if they have visited a restricted area in Victoria (Greater Melbourne) or a COVID-19 area of concern in the past 14 days
Check if an address is in the new border region
Apply here: service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-covid-19-nsw-border-entry-permit