Greater Hume Australia Day Winners
Published on 01 February 2019
Australia Day 2019 in Greater Hume was held at the Walla Walla Sportsground, as part of the Walla Walla 150th Celebrations, it was a great day, albeit a little hot, but this did not stop over 500 people from attending. Some of the highlights were the inspiring address given by our Australia Day Ambassador, Victor Kovalenko OAM, the raising of the Australian flag by descendants’ of the 9 original Walla Walla families, Good Gravy performing the National Anthem and Eric Bogle’s, ‘Shelter’ and Alan Rayner’s reciting of ‘Our Historic Tree’ a poem written in 1946 by Mr AR Moye Headmaster of the Walla Walla Central School.
Congratulations to all the award nominees and winners who were recognised for their hard work on behalf of the Greater Hume community, and the winners were:
• Citizen of the Year – John Seidel, Walla Walla
• Young Citizen of the Year – Nathaniel Wenke, Culcairn
• Sports Volunteer of the Year – Abby Paton, Morven
• Community Event of the Year – joint winners Henty Streetscape Party and Jindera 150th Celebrations
• School Citizenship Awards:
St Paul’s Lutheran College Joshua Lieschke
Brocklesby Public School Emily Severin
Burrumbuttock Public School Ava Koschitzke
Culcairn Public School Fletcher Wright
Gerogery Public School Ruby Damhuis
Henty Public School Harry Doig
Holbrook Public School Amelia Pincott
Jindera Public School Hayley Gleeson
St John's Lutheran School Jackson Stein
St Joseph’s Primary School Iilysh Reatllick
St Mary MacKillop College - Junior Arabella Kite
St Mary MacKillop College - Senior Carmel Bell
St Patrick's Primary School Jed Davis
St Paul's Lutheran Primary School Jack Knobel
Walla Walla Public School Jay Butler
A big thank you to:
- Walla Walla Community including the Walla Walla 150th Anniversary Committee for their outstanding job of working through the logistics of holding Australia Day in such a lovely setting and for providing breakfast and morning tea.
- Good Gravy for leading the singing of the National Anthem and the song, ‘Shelter’.
- Alan Rayner who recited the poem, ‘Our Historic Tree’
- Members of Greater Hume Youth Council for assisting with the official ceremony.
- Our Exhibitors the Morgan Country Car Club, Culcairn Classic Car Club, Culcairn SES and the Walla Walla Rural Fire Service.
- St John’s Ambulance
- And sponsors Australia Day Council of NSW and Greater Hume Council.
You can also view previous Greater Hume winners here.