News from the April Council meeting
Published on 23 April 2019
Highlights from meeting held on 17 April at Culcairn:
- Council endorsed the renewal of the General Manager’s Contract of Employment for Steven Pinnuck to apply for a two year period from 1 July 2019 to 30 June 2021.
- Council received a presentation from Murray Regional Tourism Board regarding achievements of its strategic plan and future project activities.
- Council approved an application for a large shed in Goulburn Street, Jindera.
- Council is proposing to dvelop the Jindera Multi-Purpose Hall to provide Jindera and surrounding residents with a modern community facility. The project is potentially a key future development at the Jindera Recreation Reserve. Council agreed to undertake community consultation for the concept with engagement involving a static display at the Jindera Community Hub, information and Have Your Say form on Council’s website and an insert placed into the May issue of the Jindera Newsletter. Other communities in the shire will be informed via local community newsletters as well.
- Council adopted the Section 7.12 Contributions Plan and Council recommends that private certifying authorities familiarise themselves with the Section 7.12 Contribution Plan as contributions may be payable prior to the issue of Construction Certificates and on Complying Development Certificates. The Section 7.12 plan is available on Council’s website and from Council’s customer service centres.
- Council adopted the draft Code of Meeting Practice with the addition that councillor voting on all motions be recorded in the minutes.
- Council will proceed with the construction of a function room and kiosk to lock up stage at the Walla Walla Sportsground with a total cost estimated at $482,000.
- Australia Day 2020 will be held at Culcairn and in 2021 the event will be offered to the Walbundrie community to host. Council also asked that officers investigate how past recipients of citizen and young citizen awards might be involved in future events.
- Council’s draft Delivery Program 2017 – 2021 and Operational Plan for 2019 – 2020 will be exhibited for public comment commencing 29 April until 31 May 2019. The documents are available to view on Council’s website or at council offices, and residents can respond in writing or via the Have Your Say portal on the website.
- Following a request to amend water charges, Council agreed that it retain the adopted water pricing structure with the Director Corporate and Community Services authorised to negotiate extended payment arrangements for landowners receiving higher than normal water accounts due to the ongoing drought conditions and genuine hardship.
- Native Title Managers Advice reports were received for various crown reserve properties undergoing development in the shire.
- The second round of the annual Greater Hume Council Community Development Grant Program was determined with Council allocating a total of $22,218 to seven projects which will result in a total investment of $99,063 to community infrastructure.
- Council endorsed the revised design changes for Jindera and Culcairn skate parks, with construction commencing shortly.
- Council endorsed applications lodged for business case funding for the upgrading of the water supply in Culcairn and waste water management in Jindera.
- In response to a request by Cr Osborne about the increased traffic movements on Jelbart Road, Council agreed to undertake investigations into current and future traffic movements, including detailed consultation with residents living on the road. The investigation will include the risks and benefits of sealing the road, and identify future works required to ensure safe movements by road users and report back to Council. Council also endorsed a reduction to the speed limit on Jelbart Road to 80kph be referred to the Local Traffic Committee for consideration.
Next Council meeting will be held on 15 May 2019 at Holbrook.
Meeting agendas and minutes are available for viewing at any time on Council’s website or in person at any Greater Hume Customer Service Officer.