The thriving town of Jindera is located just 15 kilometres northwest of Albury Wodonga and offers lifestyle alternatives with residential subdivisions and rural living lots.
Originally settled in the 1830’s, the area was initially called ‘Dight’s Forest’ after a friend of Hamilton Hume but was renamed in 1869 after German immigrants in search of land journeyed from South Australia by wagon-train and settled in the area. The early village managed to sustain four hotels, a butcher, baker and a flour mill while providing for the immediate rural community.
With a growing population of more than 2,200 people, Jindera still has a powerful sense of its past with a number of buildings remaining of historical significance.
One of the most significant of these is the Jindera Pioneer Museum. Located in the main street, the Museum is a past winner of the Museum of the Year Award for museums in country NSW. The award winning Museum has a wonderful complex of buildings, including the original Wagner’s Store, a reconstructed slab hut, the old Huon Post Office, early farm machinery and a Blacksmith’s forge and a newly restored stable complex. The shop building is pre-eminent in NSW for its original shop fittings and furnishings and plays host to many hundreds of visitors throughout the year.
A wide range of facilities are available, including children’s services, schools, aged care, medical practice and veterinary clinic. The commercial sector offers supermarket, butchers, post office, hairdressers, chemist, automotive repairs, bank, rural produce, hotel/motel and a service station.
The planned development of the Recreation Reserve to include a multi-purpose stadium will complement the existing skate park, free electric BBQ, tennis courts with lights, children’s playground and swimming pool.
Today the availability of residential and industrial land, quality services and the proximity to Albury Wodonga has ensured its steady growth in recent years and contributed to making Jindera a popular and viable alternative for families.