Retail Food Businesses

Local food businesses that serve food to the public are regulated by Greater Hume Council and/or the NSW Food Authority to ensure the food they are preparing and selling is safe for consumption.  It is important that food businesses maintain good hygiene practices to avoid illness and food poisoning outbreaks.

Retail food businesses such as cafes, restaurants, takeaway food shops, supermarkets, caterers, hotels, pubs, clubs, schools and canteens are regulated by Councils.  While primary production and high risk food premises such as butchers, seafood producers, poultry manufacturers, hospitals and aged care facilities are regulated by NSW Food Authority.

Click on the links below to find out more information: 

  • Basic food safety controls.
  • Building or fitting out a new retail food premises. 
  • Food safety fact and record sheets.
  • Food safety inspections.
  • Food safety supervisor requirements.
  • Taking over an existing retail food premises.


Public Health Act

Public Health Regulations

Food Act

Food Regulation

Food Standards Code

Food Premises and Equipment