To subdivide land in our Council area, you will need to apply for a:

The subdivision will need to meet the requirements of the Greater Hume Local Environmental Plan 2021 and the Greater Hume Development Control Plan 2013.

Types of Subdivision

Before submitting a Development Application to subdivide your land, you'll need to determine what type of subdivision you're applying for. Subdivision of land in residential areas is typically undertaken by one of the following types:

Torrens Title

The subdivision of a lot into at least two allotments, which are held independently of one another. There are generally no shared facilities or infrastructure.

Community Title

The subdivision of and into at least two lots and an area of common property. Common property relates to those parts that do not form part of a lot and typically includes the service infrastructure and driveways that are shared.

Strata Title

The subdivision of a building or proposed building into at least two lots and is managed by the Strata Body Corporate.

Minimum Lot Sizes

In part 4 of the Greater Hume Local Environmental Plan you'll find the requirements for torrens title subdivision including a lot size map.

Community title and strata title lots are exempt from complying with those minimum allotment sizes, but must already contain or have approval for a residential dwelling on each of the proposed allotments.

Development Standards

The subdivision will need to meet the requirements of the Greater Hume Local Environmental Plan and applicable sections of the Greater Hume Development Control Plan.

When planning a subdivision, it's important to also consider the requirements such as:

  • Development Contributions Plans

Contributions may be payable for the additional water and sewer connections for each additional lot created. 

  • Tree Preservation

Where possible, trees should be retained and protected when planning a subdivision.

  • Planning for Hazards

To protect properties and landowners for potential hazards, the risks associated with development on land that is prone to natural hazards should be minimised.


All subdivisions in urban areas must be provided with essential services including water, sewer, electricity, telecommunications and gas.


Subdivision Works Certificates

You'll need to apply for a Subdivision Works Certificate where civil or construction works are required to create the subdivision.

Preliminary Check of Engineering Drawings

You may request a preliminary assessment of your engineering design by our Engineering Department before submitting your Subdivision Works Certificate application to us.

This request can be made with our Customer Service team by providing:

  • A cover letter
  • Full set of size A1 engineering drawings (hard copy)

A preliminary assessment will be undertaken by our Engineering Department who'll provide comment regarding design details.

It's advisable that a preliminary assessment be undertaken for extensive civil works in relation to large subdivisions.

It should be noted that this service isn't part of the formal assessment of your Subdivision Works Certificate. The assessment process will begin once your application and plans have been lodged with us.

Lodgement Requirements

All Subdivision lodgements must be made through the NSW Planning Portal.

Application fee and long service levy is to be paid by credit card or direct debit, please advise in writing and we’ll call to make payment over the phone.

Completion Report
Addressing compliance with all 'General' conditions and 'Prior to the Issue of Construction Certificate' conditions detailed in your Development Consent.

Estimated Cost of Civil Works

Engineering Drawings
One set to scale and suitably sized for legibility. All engineering drawings are provided in the one PDF document.

Other Documents
As outlined in your Development Consent conditions under “General” or “Prior to the Issue of a Construction Certificate”, separated and named accordingly. These may include but are not limited to:

  • Landscape Plan - Detailed and clearly identifies any trees to be removed
  • Traffic Management Plan
  • Construction Management Plan - Including dust control measures, erosion sediment control, construction access and hours of work, complaints management.
  • Demolition Management Plan
  • Plans are to show works to be undertaken outside site and/or stage boundaries, or within council road or public reserve, or on environmental lands (works on E3 Land require submission of a Works Management Plan).

Approved Environmental Lands Work Permit - For works in Council owned land zoned E2.

Consent of Third Parties - As per conditions of consent (RFS, RMS, OEH or Third Party Property Owners if works affect neighbouring property, etc.).

Please note that we’re unable to lodge your application without all documentation as listed above. It’s important to understand that all required information must be provided so that we’re able to undertake assessment. You’ll be advised if your application is incomplete through the Planning Portal.

Application Assessment and Process

Upon receiving your application, it will be checked to ensure all required information and documentation has been provided. If so, your application will lodged or if it's incomplete more information will be requested. You'll be advised either way.

We'll then receipt your application into our system ready for assessment and arrange invoicing.

The Subdivision Works Certificate release is dependent on all “General” and “Prior to the issue of Construction Certificate” conditions that relate to the subdivision or stage of subdivision being satisfied.  All referral officers must sign off to facilitate the release.

Our Approvals Coordinator will prepare the Subdivision Works Certificate and documentation for release. The documents are signed by the Director Environment & Planning. 

The documents will be released to the applicant through the NSW Planning Portal.

Submitting further information, amended or revised drawings

All further information, amended or revised drawings must be submitted through the NSW Planning Portal.

All new documentation provided should include:

  • A cover letter referencing the Subdivision Works Certificate Application Number explaining which documents have been revised
  • Have revision numbers and revision dates recorded on the documentation
  • Documents should be grouped together in sets and follow the same labelling principals as originally submitted:
    • Amended Engineering Drawings – Revision #
    • Amended Landscaping Plans – Revision #
    • Amended Traffic Management Plan – Revision #
    • Amended Construction Management Plan – Revision #
    • Amended Demolition Management Plan – Revision #

    This information will enable our Approval Coordinator easy identification of documentation to be superseded.