Council's Planning Department is responsible for land use and development under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act.  

Before you start a new business, construct a new building, or change the way land or buildings are used you need to check if a development consent is required. You may require a development consent for a house, business, building works or a fence, depending on the zone and overlays applicable to your property.