Ranger Services

Council Rangers provide many services to the Community which include;

  • Dog and Cat Complaints
  • Investigate Dog Attacks
  • Respond to Stock on Roads
  • Abandoned Vehicle Reports
  • Rubbish Dumping Reports
  • Littering
  • Overgrown Vegetation
  • Rubbish on Public and Private Land
  • On-Site Sewerage Management Upgrades, Inspections and Enquiries
  • And many more

Our Rangers also provide assistance to other Agencies such as;

  • Neighbouring Councils
  • Police
  • Roads and Maritime Services (RMS)
  • National Parks and Wildlife Services (NPWS)
  • Murray Local Land Services


Ranger Services - After Hours:

It is important to remember that although Council provides an after-hours service by the Rangers this service is for EMERGENCIES ONLY.

The after-hours number will be monitored and if the matter is an emergency, one of the Council Rangers will contact you as quickly as possible.

A Council Ranger will respond after hours to the following only;

  • A member of the public reports a threatening or attacking dog incident.
  • Stock on Road which may be a public health or safety risk.
  • Major Health Risk Incident.

Livestock on roadways after hour calls should be made via the Police, they will then contact the Rangers to attend. Rangers require police attendance on the Hume Highway and other State roadways for safety.

For other matters such as;

  • Lost, Roaming or Barking Dogs
  • Wildlife
  • Feral or domestic cats caught in traps;

please contact Council Customer Service during Office Hours on T: 02 6036 0100 alternatively you can Lodge a Customer Request which will be sent through to our Rangers to follow up.

For example: Council Rangers will not attend out of hours if your neighbours dog is barking at 11pm. You are required to complete the Customer Request form or contact Customer Service during business hours.

If you do pick up a dog, cat or other animal outside Council Rangers working hours and you are unable to keep the animal until the next business day, please take the animal to the local vet. They may be able to scan the animal for a microchip and ascertain the owner’s details. Also check your local social media hubs the owner may have advertised their missing animal.

For all wildlife matters please contact WIRES or the RSPCA.

WIRES – T: 1300 094 737

RSPCA – T: 1300 278 3589

To report cruelty or animal miss-treatment please contact RSPCA T: 1300 278 3589 or online at https://www.rspcansw.org.au/report-a-cruelty-case/