Home Based Food Businesses

Development Consent from Council must be obtained for all Home Based Food Businesses.

This includes all domestic kitchens in the Greater Hume Council area where food is prepared that will be sold directly to the public.

Examples of home-based food businesses include:

  • preparing food for sale at markets or school canteens
  • bed and breakfast accommodation
  • home-based child care for a fee that includes providing food 
  • home-based caterers. 

How to apply

Please contact Councils Environmental Health & Building Surveyor about your proposed home-based food business on T: 02 6036 0100.

Click here to find out more about how to Lodge an Application

Food standards 

Like all food businesses, those based at home must comply with relevant parts of the food standards code, including:

  • standard 3.2.2 food safety practices and general requirements
  • standard 3.2.3 food premises and equipment
  • part 1.2 labelling and other information requirements.

The NSW Food Authority regulates domestic kitchens that only sell food to other businesses such as cafes, restaurants and supermarkets.

Useful Links